It’s lunch break at QED and lots of skeptics are eating sandwiches in the hotel bar!
This morning has been excellent! Bruce Hood opened proceedings with a talk about our apparent in built tendency to believe supernatural things such as mind-body duality and essentialism. He was a super, funny and engaging speaker, and I am certainly going to seek out his book!
We then had Kat Akingbade who was obviously incredibly nervous but had some interesting things to say about the perception of religion by atheists and skeptics, and vice versa. I must admit I disagreed with some of her positive aspects of religion – but as I said on Twitter I actually prefer some disagreement, since without it we’d risk becoming a bunch of skeptical yes men…
We then had a great panel about Ghost Hunting with Hayley Stevens, Trystan Swale and Chris French. They really complimented each other with different perspectives on the same subject and I enjoyed their humorous anecdotes too!
I have made a crocheted QED scarf which will be auctioned for charity and I’d love to introduce it to as many people as possible! If you see a tall girl with plum-coloured hair and an awesome scarf – come say hi!!
Welcome to Reality is Awesome!
In The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams, Ford Prefect wonders to himself about his companion's need to believe that they are visiting a legendary planet: "Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?"
And I'm with Ford. Our world, our universe, is amazing. It is in fact, awesome. And I don't need to believe in magic or fairytales to see that.
To that end, I introduce you to my blog: a collection of things both awesome and not awesome. There'll be some random stuff too, but hey, that's just how I roll.
What I've been talking about
- RT @ae_phillips: The deadline has been extended for the IOP Physical Crystallography prize lectureship! Early-career crystallographers, get… 2 months ago
- RT @isisneutronmuon: We saw some excellent talks earlier this week at the ISIS Crystallography User Group & PCG-SCMP Winter Meeting! Congra… 5 months ago
- RT @RRUTC_Cam: An incredible piece of work in @Acta_Materialia from UTC student Lewis Owen and his colleagues at the ISIS neutron source @h… 1 year ago
- I'm running the London Marathon for @MindCharity. Training updates and general rambling on my blog! goo.gl/jIXW8u #charitytuesday 1 year ago
- Week 2 of #marathontraining update on my blog tonight. runningfromtheweasels.wordpress.com #VLM2017 1 year ago